Sunday, July 10, 2011

Katherine (Dixon) Rane




I wasn't planning on sending this in since I won't be able to make it to the reunion, but I've enjoyed reading what everyone else has been up to the past 10 years so I thought (maybe) some of you might like to hear about me too.  After high school I went to BYU.  I planned on getting a "real" degree and taking some dance classes just for fun.  By the end of my freshman year I didn't really love any of the classes I had taken for my prospective majors and I had a plethora of dance credits so I took the path of least resistance at the time and became a ballet major.  I danced for four years with BYU's ballet company and taught beginning and intermediate classes for BYU during my senior year.  I really liked high school but I loved my college experience.   I met my husband Mark through mutual friends in the middle of my junior year.  I graduated from BYU in April 2005 and then got married at the end of that summer.



After graduation I danced professionally for three seasons with Utah Regional Ballet and taught at various dance studios and UVU while Mark finished up at BYU.  We lived in Orange county and then Chicago before settling in Minneapolis, MN just in time for the winter in November 2008.  It was a bit of an adjustment for a girl from Sunny St. George, but I have found ways to cope.  Who cares if you look like a dork in a full length down coat in 20 degree weather when the natives barely need a jacket as long as you're warm, right?  Mark is an industrial designer and is designing bicycles right now for a few different niche brands.  We had our daughter, Julia, in November 2009 and now I spend most of my time with her as well as teaching ballet and dancing part-time with Saint Paul City Ballet

Memories from high school...well, as has been the pattern of my life since, I spent most of my time in high school dancing and studying.  I did have many good times with friends in classes, at games, dances, and with the drill team.  I remember getting in a lot of trouble when the vice principal called my mom and told her about Marcy and me tray surfing in the parking lot (why did we think it was a good idea to do it in the school parking lot?!)  Eating lots of food at Jared Shakespeare's and Maren Hacker's.  Many fun times on road trips for drill competitions with Kristen, Whitney, Lacey, Kiarah, and all of the pantheras.  I'm sad I won't make it to the reunion.  I hope you all have a great time!


p.s.  I'm not great at taking pictures of anything other than my baby, so I don't have any current photos of my whole family together

No comments:

Post a Comment