Friday, July 29, 2011

Amanda M. Hansen



  I've been meaning to write this for months, but between a writing course, and a literature course, while being deployed to Afghanistan...then getting home and heading straight for Hawaii (Lit course ongoing), I've been a little burned out! 
     I've had an amazing 10 years since my graduation. Admittedly, I had a bit of a rough start. I just barely graduated, and that was mostly due to the hard work of Mrs. Ovard, my school counselor. She refused to allow me to fail! After graduation I worked as a Certified Nurse's Aide, while trying to figure out how to afford college and get the heck out of St. George. I came across an ad from the U.S. Army offering school money, and the rest is history!
     I met my husband, Jeffery Wells, of Ivins, in December of 2001. We married in November 2003, during my break between my initial training and my first assignment. Germany was where they sent us, and boy did we love it! For three years we learned the language and saw the sights. For those who have been there, you know how easy it is to just get on the train and go! We were fortunate to have been sent to the most beautiful part of Germany...Bavaria! It's as wonderful as all the travel channels say it is. 
     In 2006 my unit was deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I worked at a passenger terminal on an air field, doing everything from registering passengers for flights, to helping with luggage, driving the bus out to the air craft, and waiving people onto the helicopters. The fun part was when a USO show would stop in and we would help people like Miss Underwood with her luggage and stage equipment so she could put on a show for the troops there. Sometimes we'd get mortared, and sometimes the sandstorms would go on for days...grounding the aircraft...and sometimes the birds went down. Those were the hard times. But we all worked hard and most of my squad earned promotions, I even earned my sergeant stripes out there. 
     I was worn out from the 12-15 hour shifts, 6-7 days a week, so I transferred to the Army Reserve. It was the absolute best decision I could have made! I joined a unit in Las Vegas, and for my first year I attended Dixie full time. My unit also promoted me to Staff Sergeant within that year. Then I decided that being college poor sucked, so I accepted a position as a Department of the Army Civilian, working for my Army Reserve unit. My husband and I bought a house in Las Vegas at the bottom of the market. Just lovely! 
     In June 2010, my Reserve unit deployed to Afghanistan. I didn't know what to expect when I got there, but what happened was beyond my ability to imagine. I was told to report to a small dusty office where I would be working as the sole human resources sergeant for a small staff. Within two hours of reporting I received a phone call from our headquarters directing me to report for an interview at a neighboring camp. When I arrived, all dusty and sweaty from the four hour convoy, they told me that I was to be hired as the three star commanding general's junior secretary, as long as they didn't hate me in the interview (which is right this way SSG Hansen...wait, can I at least wash my face?!?!?). All of the other candidates had already been disqualified. Imagine my shock then, three days after hiring me, they FIRED the senior secretary and put me in her seat. What was a small town girl like me to do? Not only  had I never interacted with a general before (let alone a three star), but I hadn't worked in a joint command (mix of Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines), nor a NATO mission (so, all of those different services from a lot of different nations). And my predecessor had been fired...she wasn't there to train me! But somehow, I survived. Because of the incredible team I had become a part of, I kept abreast of the thousands of administrative actions that needed to be managed. After serving him well for over seven months (14-18hrs a day, 7 days a week), I was asked to build his new deputy's office, from scratch. And that's when I met my two star. An incredible gentleman who has also become a dear friend. Working with him allowed me to relax a little and helped me build friendships among the other generals there, as well as ambassadors, and high ranking civilians. 
     I'm out of Afghanistan now, just wrapping up a vacation in Hawaii with my incredible husband. My heart is still half there, in the dust and smog of Kabul, with all the incredible friends I made and the mission we were doing. I still can't quite comprehend how I ended up landing in the job I did...but I'm so glad it happened. It's been life changing.   
     This week I received word that I've been selected to train as a Warrant Officer in my field. My husband and I are very excited about our future and look forward to what it promises to bring. Eventually I plan to become a commissioned officer while pursuing opportunities as a Department of the Army Civilian. One day, I'd like to become one of the Deputy Assistant Secretaries of the Army, preferably in the office of Manpower and Reserve Affairs. But we'll see. 

     My favorite memories of high school...it's interesting, I loved the whole experience! We had such a great class. I've heard high school stories from people around the world and I've only learned to appreciate my experience at Pineview more. I liked Japanese class with Ms. Kauer (who I ran into while taking English at Dixie!). I wish I could have done more with the Japanese club. I loved social dance. That was a blast! Intro to Shakespeare, AP English, Physics, it was great! We really had some dedicated teachers. I really missed getting to go to games, dances, and other after school events. Being poor and car-less really took it's toll on my social life. But, due to the magic of Facebook I've been able to connect and re-connect with many of the most amazing personalities from our school. I really am looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the reunion! And for those who can't make it...pics and bios please! 

-Amanda M. Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment