Saturday, May 21, 2011

Seth Ure

After high school I bummed around and attended Dixie State College for a year, and then served a mission in Hong Kong China from 2002-2004.  After returning home I studied for 3 semesters at a small, private liberal arts college in Cedar City called George Wythe College.  It’s a really small college, but it was an excellent education in the classics, and I read and discussed more than I’ve ever done, before or since.  After the first semester I did summer sales for Bulwark Pest Control in Charlotte, NC.  It sucked, but the money was decent, so I did it for the next three summers as well.

When I returned to Cedar City after that first summer I met my wife, Coleen Ward (Ure), from South Jordan, UT, who was completing her BA in Business Marketing at SUU.  We dated for around 9 months, got married, and then moved to Las Vegas to manage an office and sell pest control together.  My wife outsold me on a consistent basis, which was humiliating, since I had a year of experience on her, and I was the office manager.  That fall I transferred to BYU, where I stayed for two years and received a BA in History, and a minor in Management.  

Following graduation I was accepted and began attending the University of Utah in the JD/MBA program.  (Yes, that means I had to take the GMAT and the LSAT – brutal.)   The way the program works is you spend the first year in the law school and the second year in the business school.  The next two years are normally a mix of business and law.  Right now I’m living in Beijing, China, and interning for a firm called King & Wood that specializes in International Law, Foreign Direct Investment, and Joint Ventures.  After this summer is over I’ll stay here for a year and begin attending Tsinghua University to earn an International LLM in Chinese Law, (sort of like a post-graduate law degree that allows you to emphasize in a certain area of law).  After I finish here I’ll go back to Salt Lake City, finish up my JD/MBA degree, and pray that I can find a good job to pay off all of my student loans.

My wife and I have 2 children.  Ethan is about to turn 4, and Susan, (Suzy), just turned 2.  My wife was teaching water aerobics and training for triathlons until I convinced her to move to China with me, (she’s actually not here yet – she’ll be coming over with the kids in a few weeks after I get the housing and everything set up).  I’ve competed in a couple triathlons, I play the guitar when I get a chance, I like to play ping-pong, I enjoy lifting weights, and I would like to join a choir and sing if I could find the time.  My biggest problem is that I’m completely mediocre at everything I enjoy doing, but I do it anyway because its fun.  It’s sort of a catch-22.  Anyway, for anyone interested in seeing pictures of our family you can find them at www.sethandcoleen.blogspot.com.  Like many of us, I have also gained a lot of weight since high school, so be lenient with your judgments.  I sort of hide behind my wife for validation, because unlike me, she’s still hot.  I’m just doing the best I can with what I have.  I’d love to hear from people I’ve lost touch with over the years, but please, no invitations to Etsy Parties or anything like that.  You can contact me at seth_ure@hotmail.com.  Facebook is off limits in China, so if you fb me I won’t be able to respond.  I hope everyone is doing well.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment