Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Adam Galovan



After graduation my family moved to Salt Lake, and I did a semester of school at the BYU Salt Lake Center.  While taking a mission prep class at the U of U institute (they didn’t have one at the BYU Salt Lake Center), I met my future brother-in-law.  We ended up being called to the same mission and became good friends.  I served a two year Spanish Speaking Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Arkansas Little Rock Mission.

After my mission, I spent three semesters at BYU.  Before my last semester at BYU, I went on a double date with my friend’s sister, Mandi.  We hit it off and spent the next few months talking a lot on the phone while she was at Utah State and I was at BYU.  I married Mandi Smith (from Orem) on July 15, 2005 and decided to transfer to Utah State to finish my bachelor’s degree.  Mandi graduated with a degree in Family and Consumer Science in May 2007.  In May 2008, I graduated from Utah State University as the Valedictorian of the Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services with a degree in Family, Consumer, and Human Development with a Family Finance emphasis.  After graduating from USU, I attended BYU for my masters’ degree in Marriage, Family, and Human Development.  I graduated with my masters’ in August 2010.  I am currently pursuing a doctoral degree in Human Development and Family Studies at the University of Missouri in Columbia, with the goal of becoming a university professor.  My main research focus is on family roles and the interface between parenting, coparenting, and marriage.  At Mizzou I will also specialize in research methods and statistics.  You could say I want to be a professional nerd when I grow up.

Mandi and I are the parents of a beautiful girl, Brooke (4½), and two boys, Cameron (almost 3) and Andrew (16 months), and we are expecting our fourth child in November.  We enjoy spending time together and having fun.  The kids like to read stories, go for walks, and just hang out.  Mandi and I enjoy playing games and watching movies.  Mandi likes to try new recipes, do crafts, read fiction books and spend time with the kids.  I also enjoy reading, though Mandi often teases me for being so excited about the non-fiction books I read.  We hope to eventually be done with school (I plan to graduate in the Summer of 2013) and for me to get a “grown-up” job.

I remember a lot of good times from my high school days at Pine View.  I remember loud football and basketball games (I’ll never forget our State Champ Basketball teams), fun dances, track and cross-country practices and meets, Mr. Page, assemblies, dances, and all the good times we had.  Most of all, I remember the good friends and people I was able to associate with.  We had many great and memorable conversations, some serious and others more laid back.  I look forward to the chance we will have to catch-up at the reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment