Sunday, March 13, 2011

Jared Buhanan-Decker



After HS graduation I went on a mission to San Fernando, California. Then shortly after returning home I met the girl of my dreams at a fellow 01'er's house, Aaron Stapley, while playing a rousing game of Settlers of Catan. Sharry and I dated for a couple of years, then were engaged and married the winter of 2006. We had a pretty awesome honeymoon where we backpacked through Europe for six weeks the cheapest anyone has ever done it. We did it camping, eating bread and cheese from little grocery bags we carried around, sleeping at rail stations (we pretty much were foreign bums) and when we were feeling ritzy in hostels. I graduated from Dixie with my Associate and then transferred clear up to SUU. While there I got my BS in Social Sciences Secondary Education. We then decided since we both graduated we might as well go teach English abroad. So we moved to South Korea where we were each responsible for an entire elementary school. I grew to love kimchi and Korean BBQ and to appreciate a very different culture. I am currently in Grad School through the UofU working to be a school counselor and should finish Spring 2012. No kids but we did put some roots down and got a cute little kitty last fall. Oh and I think I've put on like 30-40 lbs, married life and a love for eating will do that to you. (o:

HS memories: fun dances and the crazy nerves that came with those, what happens when you can't dance and are with whatever girl you had a crush on at the time. Cross country was good times not so much for the running (not good times, bad times) but for all the fun folks on it, math class with Mr. Christensen all three freaking years and watching him play Star Craft or whatever it was during class, the fabulous Mr Page, gummi worming, making cat cutouts and freaking out cars, sophomore girls, senior trip to San Diego and Tijuana, loads of fun concerts, journalism, and all you good people. High School was fun, horrible, crappy, amazing, happy, depressing, full of friends, lonely and so much more.

4 comments:

  1. i can't believe i forgot to mention mr. page in my favorite memories. loved that class.

    remember when we used to hide during cross country practice when we were doing the 400 repeats?! i hated that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I didn't know you guys hid. Cheaters. I actually liked 400 repeats for some weird reason. Maybe it was morbid fascination...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared! I'm so glad to see that life's going well for you. And I'm glad to see that you've had lots of adventures-- it would have made me sad if you had settled down and become boring. You always had such big ideas. I loved journalism with you, and I loved reading your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember beating the heck out of Jeff Dean and you in starcraft. haha (Your secret alliance was no match for my 2 arbiters and loaded carriers, fully upgraded) yeah and that game was Alpha Centauri that Christensen was playing.
    Srry for being such a gaming nerd. Or not. And could we not forget "Throat Yoghurt." lol! GOOD TIMES!

    ReplyDelete